Passenger Service: PenAir offers scheduled passenger service four (4) days per week.
Airport: McGrath Airport (State owned)
Distance from Anchorage = 220 miles
Approximate Travel Time = 1 hour
Runway(s): 5,936 X 100 ft. and 2,000 X 60 ft.
McGrath in Upper Kuskokwim, is a village in on the Kuskokwim River in Alaska. The population was 346 as of the 2010 census. Despite its small population, the village is an important transportation and economic hub for the area.
The Old Town McGrath site, across the river from present-day McGrath, was a meeting and trading place for Big River, Nikolai, Telida and Lake Minchumina villagers.
In 1904, Abraham Appel established a trading post in Old Town. In 1906, gold was discovered in the Innoko District and in 1907 at Ganes Creek. Since McGrath was the northernmost point on the Kuskokwim River accessible by large riverboats, it became a regional supply center. A town was established at the site of Old McGrath in 1907 and was named for Peter McGrath, a local United States Marshal. The Iditarod Trail also contributed to McGrath's role as a supply center. From 1911 to 1920, hundreds of people walked and mushed over the trail on their way to the Ophir gold districts. Mining sharply declined after 1925.
After a major flood in 1933, some residents moved across the river. Changes in the course of the river eventually left the old site on a slough, making it useless as a river stop. In 1940, an airstrip was cleared, the United States Federal Aviation Administration built a communications complex and a school was opened. McGrath became an important refueling stop for Lend-Lease equipment during World War II.
(excerpts taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGrath,_Alaska April 2015)